2008년 제29회 베이징올림픽을 맞아 코카-콜라에서 또 하나의 프로젝트를 준비했었습니다. 이름하여 WE8.
번역없이 코카-콜라사의 설명글을 그대로 옮겨보겠습니다.
Welcome to WE8
An artistic and cultural exchange like no other. Uniting eight of China's most exciting artists and design firms with eight of the West's most progressive musicians to interpret ideas and passions that connect us - by sharing and expressing one of eight themes : Global Harmony, Uplifting moments, Healthy World, Individusl Perserverance, Peace on Earth, Human Collaboration, Active Optimism and Happiness.
위에 나와 있듯이 이번 세트의 특징은 8가지 테마에 대해서 중국 미술가(또는 디자인 회사)와 서양의 음악가가 조를 이뤄 작업을 진행한 점입니다. 중국 미술가는 알루미늄 컨투어 병에 디자인으로, 서양 음악가는 음악으로 주어진 주제에 대해 재해석을 하였습니다. 원래 별도 프로모션 페이지에서 음악 파일도 다운받을 수 있었는데 아쉽게도 최근 프로모션 사이트가 폐쇄되었습니다.
자, 그럼 이제부터 하나씩 살펴 보겠습니다.
WE8 한정판 세트의 박스 전면입니다. 박스세트의 병들은 뚜껑없이 빈 병으로 구성되어 있지만, WE8의 병들은 실제 제품화되어 판매되기도 하였습니다.
박스의 후면입니다. 박스 외부 역시 내부 컨투어병 디자인에 사용된 이미지들이 조합(재구성??)되어 사용되고 있습니다.
박스 측면 모습입니다.
그럼 이제 병으로 넘어갑니다.
1. Global Harmony : Xiao Xue(趙玉雪) + TIESTO(네덜란드)
Xue works in Beijing as an award-winning graphic designer. For Global Harmony, he wanted to express the idea of balance so central to Chinese philosophy. "This design communicates harmony through an imaginative form made up of different elements that coexist. This reflects my belief that in the future we will all - people, nature, the Earth - live harmoniously as one."
Dutch DJ Tiesto is one of the most recognized names in electronic, trance, dance, house and techno music around the world. Tiesto sees Global Harmony as a natural part of his musical mission: " I integrate music from all over the world in my sets." he says. "Harmony is what my music and life are built upon."
2. Uplifting Moments : Mewe + Benny Benassi(이태리) Mewe, a three-person Beijing design collective, used a surprising visual metaphor as the basis for Uplifting Moments. "As small childresn we imagined an icy Coke as a fascinating and precious gem stone. Now, we are trying to put imagination back into the bottle. With the gemstones, when the Coca-Cola logo faces you, you discover the word 'happy'".
Italian DJ Benny Benassi is consistently rated one of the world's best DJs. For Uplifting Moments, Benassi created a buoyant sound. "We wanted to give the song that epic, surging sensation you get with sport and music. like the tingling sensation from Coke bubbles!"
3. Healthy World : Xin Jing(辛靜) + Kaskade(미국) Xin Jing was born in Qingdao. She describes her approach to Healthy World: "I wanted to communicate the relationship between water and life as I saw it as a child playing in apond," Jing says. "I realized there is life in even the smallest drop of water, and my design shows these bubbles of my childhood imagination coming to life."
San Francisco-based DJ/Producer Kaskade is currently one of the major forces in house music. For Healthy World, the DJ was inspired by Olymoic athletes and their ability to "overcome the dbstacles and to focus on a greater goal, which ultimately bring happines."
4. Individual Perseverance : Jiang Hua(蔣华) + Jes(미국) For Individual Perseverence, Jiang Hua created a horizontally extending pattern to wrap around the bottle that is stylized version of the characters that actually signify "Coca-Cola" in Chinese. "People in China might be able to guess its meaning," he says. "And the geometric pattern also reminds the user of the organic shape of the Coke bottle."
Born and raised in New York City, singer, songwriter, and producer, Jes was inspired to write her song by the design Jiang Hua created for Individual Perseverence; she drew connections between the artistic process and the songwriting one. "The design looks like a maze, and I wanted to express what inspires me in music and life - which is always trying to find your own way."
5. Peace on Earth : Joyn Viscom + Serge Devant(러시아)
To conceptualize Peace on Earth, Joyn Viscom looked to tradionally Chinese symbol: The lotus flower. "Red balloons and white birds morph from origami airplanes to symbolize the message of peace. As messengers, the four children in white are sending the message of peace to people from all over the world."
Russian-born and internationally recognized DJ Serge Devant was classically trained in piano at the prestigious Music School of St. Petesburg. With his Peace on Earth song, Devant hopes to spread an uplifting mesage: "I wish peace for everyone in th world," he says. "Tp live our lives for love - which is also what the Olympic Games are all about."
5. Human Collaboration : Milkxhake + Lucas Prata(미국)
Milkxhake is a young, Hong Kong-based design unit. Of Human Collaboration, they explain "The design is called Share Love, and it's about passing on happiness. Coming from all over the world, yet sharing the same sky, we start everything with a loving heart so that our world will be even more beautiful."
A Queens, New York, native, Lucas Prata performed around the world as a dancer before developing into a singer/songwriter. Prata wanted to create a song as vibrant and colorful as Milkxhake's Human Collaboration design. "It's a 'feel good' song, uplifting and positive, something everyone can sing along to, "he says.
7. Active Opimism : Chen Shao Hua(陳紹华) + Cezar(자마이카)
Born in Zhejiang and working in Shenzhen, Chen has been ond of China's best known graphic designers for decades. About his theme, Chen says "I've turned to popular text messaging to ask young Chinese people: what words say happiness to you? I then placed the words in the mouths of the laughing faces - a tradionally happy Chinese symbol. Together, the combination shows the idaes of active optimism, both young and old."
Born to Jamaican parents living in London, and growing up in Jamaica and the US, Cezar was exposed to a multitude of musical styles. "Music plays a critical role in bringing people of differing cultures together because it existsas a truly universal language, "he says "Keep on, "Cezar's song for Active Optimism, encourages a sense of "happiness and satisfaction."
8. Happiness : Wang Xu(王序) + Jay J(미국)
Graphic Designer Wang Xu owns his own firm in Guangzhou. Of his Happiness design, Xu says "The Haha mirror showa happiness you can see. Hahaha is the sound of someone laughing, full of happines. The Haha mirror will connect you to me and take us together to Beijing in the summer of 2008."
New York-based DJ and Producer Jay-J has released more than 120 productions of dance music to date. The Happiness song was inspired by Jay-J's desire to use music as a way to unite people around the world. "Music provides the forum for diverse individuals, regardless of background, upbringing or class, to come together and share their passion," he says.
어설프게 번역하는 것보다 원문을 싣는것이 나을 것 같아 컨투어병 및 관련 아티스트의 관한 내용은 영문 그대로 옮겼습니다. ^^
* Originally written on 2011. 10. 31(블로그 이전으로 재포스팅 합니다)